Sunday, May 22, 2011

At Market

So, what does one do at Market?
Well, there are always amazing quilts to admire and be intimidated by, such as:
"Flower Market, Guatemala" by Meri Vahl
which won first place in the Art category:
And this one which won second place in the Traditional Applique category,
(sorry, I didn't get the title or the quilter's name), 
 Here's a close-up to give you an idea of the size of the applique pieces.
No wonder it took 3 years to make!
 This one is called "Majestic Bugs" by Irena Bluhm and won third place in the Quilting category.
The quilt was stitched first and the color was applied with colored pencils afterward.
 Here's a close-up of the amazing machine quilting.
 This one, "Mission Impeccable" by Kumiko Frydl
won first place in the Miniature category.
 Can you believe this?
 "Mini Log Cabin" by Thelma Robbins, won third place in the Miniature Category.
Each block is only 1 1/4" square and the quilt has over 1600 teeny-tiny pieces!
 For me, though, the best part of Market is meeting up with friends,
such as Brenda Mercado from Pumpkin Patch Primitives,
 and Michelle Joyner from Fat Quarters Quilt Shop.
 And in between, I sit in my booth and stitch on the bindings of future quilts to be published.
Not a bad way to spend a weekend, wouldn't you say?

2 comments:

  1. I love to see the quilts at market and the fabrics being used in pieces.
    I saw that photo of brenda and just realized it was you, with her, lol.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are the first blog I've seen to share those wonderful, wonderful quilts! They are absolutely stunning!
    Did your booth do well? I know it would be one I'd have to hang around a bit in...more my colors and all!

    ReplyDelete